|When Sterling Met Thompson|
|Podtoid episode 011|
|Release date||01 May 2008|
|Running time||78 minutes|
|Featuring|| Jim Sterling|
The Podcastle 011: When Sterling Met Thompson is an episode of The Podcastle released on 2008-05-01.
What happens when two of the biggest egos in games media sit back and discuss arguably the biggest release in videogame history? We'll let you be the judge of that, as we welcome controversial defense attorney Jack Thompson to The Podcastle to discuss Grand Theft Auto with yours truly.
This week, we have a very short first half as the usual crew of Jim Sterling, Wardrox and Atheistium chat about Grand Theft Auto IV, and announce a special contest -- simply use our Community Blogs and find an inventive way to mix the worlds of Jack Thompson and Grand Theft Auto together. Be it a short story, image, video, song or -- my favorite -- interpretive dance, the best four entries will receive redemption codes from Atheistium, allowing them to download Xbox Live GTA IV picture packs -- for nothing!
Then we introduce the main event, as Jim Sterling speaks to Jack Thompson for the very first time. In this historic event, Jack Thompson actually makes good on his promise to appear on a videogames podcast. How do I manage to keep the volatile attorney on the phone for almost fifty minutes? How do I manage to get even a single word in edgewise? Did Jack Thompson confess that his son plays GTA? All these questions are for you to decide the answers for, but here are the highlights:
- Jack Thompson thanked by a gamer? Jacko tells us why.
- Jim isn't interested in Jack's testicles.
- What is a "murder simulator?" Also, Jack's expert is better than Jim's expert, apparently.
- Tom & Jerry needs to be less fun!
- What was in Ted Bundy's Xbox?
- Jim tries to explain why Take-Two threatening Walmart is a ridiculous idea.
- Jack tries to explain why Grand Theft Auto IV is illegal pornography.
- Jack asks Jim to file an American lawsuit, even though he's British.
- Thompson is a gangsta rap expert.
- At least Jim & Jack agree that IGN getting an exclusive review was rubbish.
- Jack pushes for the final solution.
- "Have I had my Wii Fix?"
- Thompson's terrifying vision of the future.
I really hope you enjoy the show, and that I did videogamers and Destructoid proud. I would also like to thank Jack Thompson for his time, despite the nature of his exit, and tip my hat at someone who, I must confess, was a pretty challenging arguer. As always, check out our Podcastle page to listen or download. Alternatively, we can be found on iTunes.